In the sphere of media
Deploring the current negative approach of the media in spreading disharmony, hatred and violence among the people of India and Pakistan. Decrying the two governments’ attempts to express information with regard to violation of human rights and atrocities on the people.Regretting the media’s attitude of not highlighting the peace efforts in the two countries.It is hereby resolved that the Pakistan India Peoples’ Forum for Peace and Democracy would work towards :a) launching a joint media newsletter or bulletin, prefereably by monthlyb) Establishing a website as also a common internet connection and e-mail for the purpose.c) Networking of journalists of unionsd) Orgainising exchanges of representatives of INS and PNS as well as different journalists’ organisations of the two countriese) Free flow of publications f) Liberal visa rules for journalists as to procedure police reporting and restrictions on the mode of transport to be usedg) Enabling publications to post correspondents in each others country.h) Ensuring that venom is not spread through publications or the electronic media that would vitiate relations between the two countries.h) Setting up an Indo-Pak journalists’ organisation to help promote greater interaction and closer cooperation between media practioners of the two countries.In the sphere of culture:Recognising the pivotal role of culture in bringing the people together, acknowledging the wider reach of culture, incomparison of the media among the people and impact of cultural performances on the public mind.Expressing concerns over the growing vulgarity in cultural performances descriminated by Indian TV and films.Noting the need to educate the public for the purpose of preserving our subcontinental culture without in anyway falling into the fundamentalists straitjacketEmphasising the importance of protecting the rainbow culture of Jammu and Kashmir that could act as a bridge between the culture of India and Pakistan.Stressing the significance of the culture as the mirror of the growth of civil societyIt is hereby resolved the PIPFPD would work towards
- a) Organising tours of aritists to each other’s countries with increasing frequency
- b) Liberalising visa rules for cultural aritists
- c) Joint production of India-Pakistan telefilms, films, playsd) Getting a one hour time lot on TV for secular cultural programmes of each other’s country through adequate ad support by sponsors.
- e) Checking the spread of western culture in the name of globalisation
- f) Setting up an internet channel for communication among cultural personalities of the two countries.
- g) Constituting a joint group for implementing the above.
- 1. We call upon the Governments of Pakistan and India to immediately re-establish communication links at all levels and resume dialogue and to at the highest level with good faith take specific measures towards confidence building measures.
- 2. Both countries should unconditionally sing CTBT.
- 3. We call upon the Government of Pakistan and India to immediately put a freeze on all military built-up, both conventional and nuclear and all research connected with them. PIPFPD appeals to the scientific community not to participate in nuclear research. We further call on both Governments to down size their defence forces and reduce their defence budget
- 4. We call on the PIPFPD sections to immediately establish the joint secretary advisory group with specific time housed actions and develop alternative perspectives of peace and security as securing the lines of people.RESOLUTIONTO form Joint working groups on the five themes, who will meet twice a year, circulating their resolutions, which maybe ratified during the National and Joint Conventions.David SelvarajVimalanathanMathew PhilipAnita RatnamIf there is an earlier resolution kindly ignore this.
REPORT OF THE SECTORAL GROUP ON TEACHERS AND STUDENTS
- 1. The two groups on teachers and students were chibbed together into a single group – altogether there were 10 participants – 2 from Pakistan and 8 from India.
- 2. Mr. S.Pandian of India and Mr. M.Saeed Anan of Pakistan were co-chair.
- 3. Mr. Mazhar Hussain of India was designated as the rapporteur for the group.
- 4. The focus of the group was more on students issues but matters relating to teachers were also taken up during the deliberations.
- 5. The group acknowledged that the issue of negative attitudes of students of both our countries towards each other is turning from persons to grave.
- 6. The curriculum, especially the teaching of History as influence of media were recognised as major factors in circulating negative thoughts and feeling about other religious and communities and branding other as enemies, terrorists etc.
- 7. The group recognised that while students – Pakistan are not taught the history of the sub-continent, the curricular in India is being mutiliated and communicated especially since the BJP came to power.
- 8. The ill informed attitudes and improper understudying of most of the teachers of both the countries about each other is playing havoc with the constitution of the mind sets of their students.
- 9. On the positive side the groups found that the education of the girl child is on the rise in Pakistan.
On the basis of the above discussions the groups made the following recommendations :
- 1. The group was emphatic that multipronged strategies must be adopted to inculcate open mindedness, tolerance and commitment for peace amongst students and youth.
- 2. All efforts at all levels should be undertaken to resume the priority to funds that the education sector deserves and requires
- .3. Proactive endeavours and programmes should be undertaken to motivate and involve opinion builders, policy makers and politicians to rewrite and enlist their involvement in making education a vehicle for peace and understanding and meet the promoting hatred and social divisions.
- 4. Movements and programs should be initiated and strengthened to ensure that the syllabus at all levels of education should be fair without distortions, and condusive to the promotion of peace and understanding.
- 5. The group also felt that the syllabus should include the understanding of the basic tenants of all the religions to inculcate the values of understanding and tolerance amongst children and youth.
- 6. There should be large scale exchange of educational literature between both the countries.
- 7. Exchange facilities should be provided to facilitate the establishment of e-mail friendships between large number of students which could be a precussor to exchange programs.
- 8. Exchange programs of students and teachers should be undertaken more vigorously and constantly.
- 9. Exchange programs should be designed to be multifacated and should include heritage, culture, racial and educational aspects.10. Students and teachers exchange programs should include participation from both urban and rural areas and must have representation from all reactions and communties of society.
- 11. Specific cities and organisation should be tired up in the studies / teachers exchange programs to ensure that they are implemented consistently.
- 12. It programs ……… of teachers of both the countries should be undertaken to facilitate better interospection and understanding.
- 13. Corporate sponsorships should be mobilised for the student / teacher exchange programs.
- 14. The factors behing the increase in the education of the girl child in Pakistan should be stretched and the same should be applied. India and those portions of Pakistan where the girl child education is lagging behind to improve education of the girl child in the sub-continent.No students were present in the groups.
TRADE AND COMMERCE
- 1. To maintain cordial and business demanding atmosphere, basic issues should be solved on priority and both countries competent authorities should be approached for above achievement.
- 2. In place or big business groups small traders should be encouraged to involved business between two countries.
- 3. True and registered business community should come in forum conventions and discuss business with their counter parts.
- 4. Free movement of business people be ensured in respective countries.
- 5. Multiple visa facilities be provided to trade and commerce people to both sides.
- 6. Constitute a trade and commerce committee, responsible for framing and adopt proper steps to create congenial atmosphere for business community, like may bea) To increase number of items exportable / importable to double the existing (501).b) To frame a pressure group of business community to influence the competent authorities to achieve forum targets.From